Saturday, May 30, 2009

Surgeries Surgeries and Some more Surgeries...

My radical double mastecomy with Diep Flap reconstruction happened on June 4, 2007. My mom came out the day before. The process of preparing for surgery is very much like preparing for war. I knew the surgery would be long. But in all honestly I dont really think I was prepared for how painful it would really be.

I was in surgery for 14 hours. The last thing I remember on the tv as they wheeled me out of the room was Al Roker on the today show. During surgery they pumped me with 10 IV bags.....which later meant I had to have the cathedar in for three days.

Orginally the told me that I had no lymph node involvement. This meant that maybe I would not have to have chemo. They were going to give me the Oncotype DX test to see if I needed chemo. However, three days later Dr. Mitchell(the man who did the masteconomy aka little work..that part probably only took an hour..)came in to tell me that after they unfroze the lymph node(standard procedure done three days later) that they found one millimeter in the node. This one lovely millimeter pushed me into Stage 2 and that chemo was in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment